9799692b348 Nivedhanam: Panch Poran

Sunday, April 27, 2014

Panch Poran

Welcome to North Eastern State - Tripura. This was the most difficult state for me to as the Vegetarian options for the state were almost none. I was almost in the verge of skipping Tripura when BM group friends gave me the idea that Bengali population in the state is quite high and the Bengali cuisine is a major part of their traditional and delicious food. I did come across a few Tripura veg and meat based dishes that uses Panch Poran (a Bengali Spice mix) as the main ingredient. So here comes the recipe for the simple spice mix.

Now a small flash back - about 9 years ago. I went to US and was newly married. My husband had a stock of a spice mix (which I have never seen before) and I used it in one of the dishes (I do not remember which one) and it tasted awesome.. So I asked my husband what it is and he said he got in the Indian Grocery store. Just a spice mix and he did not mention the name. My mom and my MIL also loved this spice mix when they had used it in the subsequent years.. Now I did not know its name. The next few times I went to the grocery store, I could not find this spice mix there and also did not know what to ask the store person. I did not know its name.. Then after so many years, I knew its name was "Panch Poran". Panch means 5 and Phoran means spices in Bengali. This is a classic Bengali spice mix.

IMG_6675

This spice mix is an equal blend of 5 spices - mustard seeds, nigella seeds, fennel seeds, cumin seeds and fenugreek seeds. The spices are added to the hot oil directly, but are never grounded and added to the oil. Panch poran are never added as a powdered form to curries and gravies. Dry roasted panch poran is ground and used for sprinkling on chutneys. Other names of Panch Poran are - panch phoron, panch puran, panchpuran, punch puram, punchpuram. I have used the spices in equal proportion, but you can reduce the fenugreek seeds to half if you prefer.

IMG_6669

Ingredients

Fenugreek Seeds - 1/2 teaspoon
Nigella Seeds - 1/2 teaspoon
Mustard Seeds - 1/2 teaspoon
Fennel Seeds - 1/2 teaspoon
Cumin Seeds - 1/2 teaspoon

Method

Mix all these together and use or store in a glass jar for later use.

IMG_6674

Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM# 39

15 comments :

  1. Its good that you haave given the perfect way to make paanch poran..perfectly made.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i have kept a this masala in a bottle for my consumption now

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic, actually after this BM, this panch poran is going to take its place in my pantry, well done sowmya.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I usually mix it right before using it. But if you use it often it makes sense to put it all together ready for use.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice way to showcase, Sowmya. We have also fallen in love with this spice mix.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love panch phoron. It adds so much flavor to whatever dish they are added to. Good one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well explained,such a flavorful spice mix...

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is funny.. I am glad you finally figured out what that spice mix. I have a pack of it in my pantry and am yet to use it,

    ReplyDelete
  9. After this mega marathon, I have this in my spice jar. Love the flavor it imparts to the dishes...

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just love the flavor of panch poron in any curry , such an informative post sowmya :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. love panch phoran. it really is magical

    ReplyDelete
  12. this is one mix that is always in my pantry but so easy to make myself I wont bother buy anymore

    ReplyDelete
  13. lovlely spice mix. Even my kids loved it.

    ReplyDelete

Dear Friends,
Thank you for reading my blog post. Your comments and feedback is very valuable and I appreciate it very much. Please leave your valuable comments and feedback for this post. Thanks Sowmya

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...