9799692b348 Nivedhanam: Surprise Roti

Monday, July 23, 2012

Surprise Roti

Surprise Roti – surprised by the name? It has a story to it.. My mom was making this roti to give for my daughter’s first day at school as lunch. My daughter (3 years) came to the kitchen to see what is happening – saw my mom doing roti. My daughter thought it is the usual roti and went away. Then at lunch when she tasted it, it was sweet and she called it as Surprise roti – meaning roti with surprise. It is the name my daughter gave for this simple roti and we love it. So the name. Now coming to the recipe, this one is sure a hit among kids, perfect for lunchbox and is also quick to do. Also if you are like me who do not get perfect shaped round rotis, this is good to practice as I cut the roti into small pieces for my daughter’s lunch box. It did not matter when it was in perfect round or triangle as it was all bite size pieces in the lunchbox.  Regular granulated sugar will not work and you need to use powdered sugar.
IMG_1294

Ingredients
Whole Wheat Flour / Chapathi Atta – 1 cup
Salt - A pinch
Powdered Sugar - 3 tea spoons (adjust as needed)
Ghee / Clarified Butter - 2 tea spoons + more for cooking the roti – can use oil for vegan version
Water - to make the dough


Method
Mix flour and salt well and add water and make it to a dough. Allow it to rest for 10 minutes (covered)
Take a tomato sized ball and make a small round of about 4 inches.
Spread the ghee on the roti and sprinkle powdered sugar over it
Press the powdered sugar into the roti
Fold it in half to get a semi circle and fold it again to get like a triangle and seal the edges.
Roll the roti to a 7-8 inch triangle
Heat a tawa and smear it with ghee and add the roti and cook until both sides are done. Apply little ghee on top
Serve hot or pack as lunch when little cooled. You can also cut into small pieces with a scissors like how I send for my daughter's lunch box

IMG_1292

Sending this to 30 Minute Mela, Tickling Palates' Lets Cook Bread, Priya's Olympics Games Event, Jagruti's event, Kitchen Chronicles – Only Vegan ,Kalyani's page, Divya's Love Lock Series - Breads, Pari's preschooler snacks, brain child of Nithu's Kitchen, Healthy Diet Foods - Whole Grains, Priya's page


2 comments :

Dear Friends,
Thank you for reading my blog post. Your comments and feedback is very valuable and I appreciate it very much. Please leave your valuable comments and feedback for this post. Thanks Sowmya

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...