9799692b348 Nivedhanam: Carrot Parupu Usli

Wednesday, September 30, 2015

Carrot Parupu Usli

A month long marathon comes to an end today.. It was such a topsy turvy ride with so many posts done at the very last minute.. Phew!!!! Today’s recipe is going to be a simple curry with carrot.. Do you like veggies that are not spicy??? I am a yes and no.. I prefer spicy veg when accompanying my sambar rice or rasam rice or curd rice... Some veggies are exception, I do not mind the simple carrot curry with coconut, but love this spicy version which is a great accompaniment to any rice dish.. Adjust the spice according to your preference. I make the regular parupu usli with Beans and the recipe is here..

IMG_6273IMG_6280

Ingredients
Kadalai Parupu / Channa Dal – 1 cup
Tuvaram Parupu / Toor Dal – 1 table spoon
Carrot – 4 cups (cubed)
Red Chili – 6
Salt – 1 1/2 tea spoons
Asafetida – A pinch
Oil – 4 - 5 table spoons
Cumin Seeds – ¼ tea spoon
Mustard Seeds – ¼ tea spoon
Curry Leaves – 10
Turmeric Powder – ¼ tea spoon

IMG_6278

Method
Soak the kadalai parupu and Tuvaram parupu in water for 1 hour
Boil the carrot with ½ tea spoon salt and turmeric powder
Drain excess water from the carrots and keep aside
After the parupu is soaked for an hour, grind it along with red chili and cumin seeds with very little water
Heat oil in a pan, add mustard seeds
Once the mustard seeds crackle, add the grinded mixture
Sauté this well till it looses all the excess moisture. Keep mixing this to avoid burn at the bottom
Add salt, asafetida to the mixture.
Once well fried (takes around 7-8 minutes), add the carrot
Mix this well and now the Carrot Parupu Usli is ready to be served!

IMG_6276

Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM# 56

IMG_6279

9 comments :

  1. I love all uslis..and this one is something I make rarely as hubby doesn't like sweetish spicy dishes..I enjoyed all your dishes and each one was done so well..good job Sowmya!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The carrot veggie looks interesting with those daals, beautiful color.
    It was great running the marathon with you, lot of new things that you gave us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Carrot usli looks inviting .Love the posts from you throughout the marathon.Good job Sowmya.Take care .

    ReplyDelete
  4. I tried usili once & it was a flop. I think I used too much dal. Will carrots usili. I usually have a bag of carrots in my fridge.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I rarely make carrot curry. But I can make this for my kids. It was really nice to run the marathon with you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This dish has awesome color, very appealing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this paruppu usili with carrots. So healthy and delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can have this usili rite now with a bowl of rasam rice..Wonderfully prepared.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have never tried usili with carrot. Will try it soon.

    ReplyDelete

Dear Friends,
Thank you for reading my blog post. Your comments and feedback is very valuable and I appreciate it very much. Please leave your valuable comments and feedback for this post. Thanks Sowmya

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...